Sep 11, 2007

Thoughts about 9-11

Today marks 6 years that terrorists attacked our nation. I know exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was at my grandmother's "Mom" with Jaron. We were watching Katie, Matt, Al and Ann on NBC's Today Show. I remember my sister n law, Leah calling me saying, "What is going on?" We sat glued to the tv at different houses. The whole time Mom was asking me what was wrong. I am so thankful that God took her comprehension of that day completely away. She lived through the time when our nation was attacked by Japan and Pearl Harbor was hit. I remember as a teen her sharing with me how it made her feel so unsafe after that time. She was very ill and I am glad that she had no idea what was happening...she thought it was just a tv show.
I remember calling Sean, he didn't believe me at first. I remember that he immediately started calling his sister in NY she worked next to the World Trade Center. Later we found that she was fine as well as Sean's nephew Joey and other family members that worked either in the buildings or near there. What was even stranger was that a few of the terrorists had lived in our town and in a friend's rental home and had also lived just down the street from Leah and my brother Chris.
I remember how numb I felt and scared. I remember holding Jaron, 17 months old, very close and holding my stomach, I had just found out that I was pregnant with Kris. I kept thinking how is this going to affect my children.
Today Jaron asked me if I was alive when 9-11 happened. He asked me a lot of questions that I just didn't know how to answer. I think what really surprised me was that despite what happened and how the media makes it sound like we are always at threat for another attack, Jaron feels safe. I am thankful that he feels that way. I would never want my children to feel fearful that America is not safe. We talked a little bit about the service men/women that are fighting in Iraq.
I may not understand why our troops are still there but I do know that if we did not have these men/women serving our country and fighting to protect the rights of not just our country but the rights of others, that we would not be able to feel free and safe in our country. God bless and protect all of the service men and women that are fighting for freedom!

No comments: