Sep 26, 2007

"Mom"


I want to share a little bit about my grandmother “Mom” ~ Virginia Mills
Of all the people in this world that I admire she is one of the top!
Her birthday just past last week and she would have been 86 years old.
Mom impacted my life in a way that no one else has.
Her philosophy for life seemed to be, “Let the past stay in the past.”
I remember talking to her once about something that had happened to her as well as me and she said to me, “Melissa sometimes you just have to let it stay in the past. Not think about it and get over it. You can’t change what happened but you can change who you are.” At the time I surely did not want to hear that kind of advice. But you know it has some truth to it. There are so many people in this world that want to blame their parents, teachers, bosses, or anyone that has hurt them; for how they live their life or how it has turned out. Mom is right, get over it! You can’t change the past, but you can learn from your mistakes or the mistakes of others.
In her life she lived through many wars. In the last few months of her life she watch as the events of 9/11 emerged. Thankfully she thought it was a terrible movie. She lived through the deaths of her twin boys. I remember once talking to her about it right after we lost our first son. She told me, that the pain dulls but the date will always be one that would bring tears to her eyes. At the time I couldn’t image the pain dulling. It does though in time. It will be 10 years ago in Nov that we lost our first son. The fall season is my favorite time, the leaves changing the air gets crisper there is just something about fall. But I agree with Mom, when the day comes the pain is very real and it has brought tears to my eyes each time.
She wore many hats; foster mom, career woman- at a jelly jar factory, and government typist during the war, cashier, hair stylist- mom, grandma and great grandma. She never wanted to be called grandma. I started calling her Mom probably from birth and that is what stayed! I remember telling her that I was pregnant with Kristofer; which I found out the same week of 9/11. She was happy and hoped it would either be a girl or twins. She talked a lot about wanting one of her grand kids to have twins. She died that Nov. Never knowing what I was having. Amazingly just a few years later she got her wish…twins! She would have been so excited about having twin great grand kids!
My grandma, Mom, may not have been perfect –no one is- but she made the best grand ma out there to her grand kids and to her great grand kids. She leaves a legacy behind her of a daughter, Delight Mills Peyton, grand kids, Melissa (me), Ronnie, Chris, Jeanette and Bryan, great grand kids Kurtis, Anna, Kaelyn, Brock, SeanPatrick(our 1st son who died), Madison, Jaron, Kristofer, Timmy, Eli, Sara, Lexi, Aiden and Kamya.

Mom, if you are watching from heaven know we love and miss you!

No comments: