Mar 15, 2008

"A Person's A Person No Matter How Small"


What this clip from youtube.com:





This afternoon we took time as a family to go and enjoy a nice family movie and then to dinner. Naturally when you take the whole family the movie theater is the one place other than the amusement parks that can drain your pocket faster than you can fill it. But regardless of the cost I highly recommend taking your kids to see this wonderful adaptation of Dr. Seuss' story "Horton Hears a Who." Horton has always been one of my favorite characters that Dr. Seuss (Theodore Seuss Geisel) has ever created. Maybe its because Horton is an elephant and I love elephants or maybe it's just the message the stories he is involved in always have. Another favorite Horton story is "Horton Hatches the Egg."


So we took the kids tonight and they loved it. It was funny, sentimental and just fun to watch. I think the best part was near the end when the characters began to sing "can't Fight this Feeling Anymore" by Reo Speedwagon. It made me laugh so hard. If you were my roommate in college you would definitely understand why but for those that were not my roommate or just don't know the story behind the song I will explain.... Before Sean and I started dating, I had it bad for him! I mean I was beyond school girls crush. In the immortal words of Christy Cain, "You have fallen off the diving board into the deep end!" I was madly in love with him and he seemed to be oblivious. Needless to say there were many nights that Sean would leave the Chi Alpha house where myself and a few other girls lived those months I was pining for him, and I would come upstairs to one other girls teasing me by putting on this song..." I can't fight this feeling anymore, I've forgotten what I started fighting for..." It was all in good fun but I have to say back then that is how I felt for Sean. I still do! I love the man more every day!

But enough about me. The message of this story and now movie is one that is important for all kids including adult to hear. Horton repeats it a lot through out the movie, "A person's a person no matter how small!" This is so important for kids to hear. They hear way to often that they don't matter but they do. In fact Jesus even states, "Let the little children come unto me and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven!" (MATT 19:14) Even Jesus took the time to stop during his teachings to address the children. He took time to pray over them, had them come to him and He blessed each one. I work in our church as the children's pastor. Some would say that children's church is just a glorified baby sitting service and there is no need for churches to minister to the kids. Let me just tell you something, what I do on a weekly basis is NOT just a baby sitting service. I take time to pray and prepare my lessons. I pray for the kids and some of them have no one else praying for them. If Jesus saw the importance of ministering to the children then so must we.

On a personal not even if I was not somehow involved in children's ministry and we were searching for a church to call home the first thing we would look for other than Godly Biblical preaching is what does the church offer for my kids' spiritual growth. It is the responsibility of the parents to teach the children and model Godly examples for their kids and I firmly believe it has to start at home first. But I refuse to go to a church that has nothing for my kids as well. So many times I have heard this phrase, "well I never had children's church and I sat with my parents in service I am just fine spiritually." Well that may be all good and true for you but if it was not for children's church and a church that understood the importance of ministering to the kids I would not be here. It was because of children's church and a bus ministry that I started going to church and I got saved at a young age. My parents started attending shortly after all because a family relative, my cousin Sarah Downing and her late husband, Robert would pick me up and take me to church with them.

Children's church is so important. Ministering to children is an example that Jesus shared with us. He stated "Let the children come to me..." I am sure He would agree with the statement, "A person's a person no matter how small!"

No comments: