Apr 8, 2008

It's a Wood Floor!

Every month from Sept to Oct our church takes the kids to the local skating rink. The kids look forward to this night all month. A couple of months ago Sara went for the first time and fell in love with skating. She looks so cute with her little skirt, head band and skates. It sorta reminds me of times past. Last night was Eli's first skating experience. He skates at home with his slip on skates so we thought he would understand that he would be skating like he does at home. But that is where we were wrong.


He was so excited about going that he talked about it all day. As soon as we got there we realized that Eli was completely let down. The poor guy thought he was going to skate on ice. Not exactly sure why he thought this but he was completely let down. Once we got his skates and he looked out on the skate floor he turned and says, "It's a wood floor!" He then proceeds to ask where the ice was. He was so sad that it wasn't ice. I still can't figure out why he thought he would be on ice...


He was overwhelmed with the amount of kids that were there. I was a little surprised myself. Normally we will see a few teens but last night we had quite a few teens there from other churches. It is a nice night at the skate rink. The owners play all Christian music so there is no need to worry about what the kids are listening to.


He spent half the time just watching or in the game room. At the end when he was told we had 30 mins before we would leave he says, "Please put my skates back on I want to try skating again" By that time most of the older kids were off the floor. He looks at me and says, "I think I want to try that wood floor," and off he went. He did finally make it around the whole rink twice. He was not so happy at the end, he wanted to stay. Isn't it just like all kids, once they get comfortable with a new situation it's time to leave.
In a couple of weeks the twins will get to go skating with a bunch of preschoolers. The preschool program they are part of offers a variety of field trip experiences. From making pizzas at a local pizza place to skating they do a lot of things...mostly to encourage parental involvement. So they will get to go skating with their classmates. Personally I am looking forward to getting to know some of the other moms of the kids class. It will be a great opportunity for me as well. I unfortunately did not take my camera but plan to the next time we go and I will share those pictures then.


No comments: