Jul 25, 2015

Surgery Ponderings

Thoughts about my recent surgery...


1. Having family be at the hospital with you before surgery brings peace. Having your pastor come to pray with you and your family, even better.

2. Having family support has been such a huge blessing. The first knee surgery I had in 2008 was just as intense with a much longer recovery. My parents were able to be there to help with our kids and are again through this one. Knowing the kids were in good hands gave me so much peace.

3.Having your surgeon pray with you before and after surgery, hand you a New Testament Bible, having your anesthetist ask if your doctor had prayed with you yet and then be told he prays with each patient and with his team every surgery is amazing! Specially when you had NO idea he too is a believer in Christ Jesus!  Having that same doctor visit you during his morning rounds, seeing you are in severe pain and having him pray before leaving your room, BLESSED!

4. Pain meds are no joke! Seriously, they help when in extreme pain but man they really mess with your head! Craziest, loopy conversations with MYSELF!

5. TKR (total knee replacements) may seem like an every day surgery to some but let me tell ya something, they're intense, painful and should never be approached halfheartedly.

6.  Anesthesia makes you dream and say the craziest things; example- telling the nurse "I don't want to wake up, I'm marrying John Stamos," you know, Jessie from Full House.

7. I'm still just a little girl who needs her Mommy when in extreme pain, even if I won't admit it.

8. Having someone stay with you in the hospital really helps!!! Sean wasn't able to do so when we lived in Illinois. The company he worked for didn't give paid medical leave to care for spouses. Sean being able to have time off work to stay with me at night in the hospital this time helped me greatly. Thankful he has it now!

9.  Being part of a loving, caring, giving church has been such a blessing. We never asked for any assistance and out of love they have blessed our family with meals for these couple of weeks. HUGE Blessings! I can't explain what a blessing to know I haven't had to think about it and Sean hasn't had to figure out stuff, on top of working crazy hours at work, coming home to care for my needs as well as the kids. No words can say THANK YOU enough.


No comments: